Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Big Question: Who Are You?

Some thoughts from Chapter 3.


"Ramana Maharshi...used to say that to attain inner freedom one must continuously and sincerely ask the question "Who am I?" (T.U.S. p. 23)


Michael looks at it this way:  When you were 10 years old and you looked in the mirror you saw a 10 year old body.  When you look in the mirror as an adult you see an adult body.  What is consistent? 


What is consistent is the part of you that is doing the looking, the witness, the watcher.  The same is true of thoughts.  Since your thoughts change than you are not your thoughts.  Who you are is the one who notices the thoughts.


Whenever I notice that my consciousness or awareness has been sucked in to the drama of my life and I remember to ask myself "Who am I?" it helps to put things back into perspective, that is, back into “INNER FREEDOM PERSPECTIVE.”  

It helps me to detach from the drama of my life.  I remember who I really am…ONE WITH GOD.  It helps me get back into my body so that I can sense where I am tense and I can begin to relax.  It helps me to realize that I am more than this human personality. 
We all want to be free… free of the anxieties, judgments, moods, concerns etc. that we experience each day.  Michael says that after we have developed this witness consciousness (as opposed to living from the ego or psyche) then everyday life becomes like a vacation.  Everything from brushing one’s teeth to going to work is a playful experience.  We would just have fun with it all!
Remember today to ask yourself "Who am I?" whenever you feel that you have begun to identify yourself as the EXPERIENCES THAT YOU ARE HAVING, instead of as the ONE WHO IS HAVING THE EXPERIENCES

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting to think of myself as one with God. This reminds me of something I read in Ken Wilber's "Integral Life Practice" that I am a holon- both a whole (with a group of systems coming together to make my body and mind) and part of a other systems too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great image that helps me grasp the idea of Oneness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea that we should have fun with our experiences. It would help us be more present- oriented to look at our surroundings as works of art, and the sounds we hear as music, and approach our "problems" more like the way we'd approach board games or video games.

    ReplyDelete