Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

mountain hike part 2 - the deeper issue

There was another part of the mountain hike story that I have been struggling with letting go of all week:  I did not bring enough warm/waterproof clothes for Ryan and I during the hike last weekend. (Apparently I was absent the day they addressed mountain hiking clothes in school because we were way under dressed).   By the time we headed down the mountain, we were both wet and frozen.  Fortunately 2 strangers gave us their rain ponchos and a friend in our group gave Ryan her warm and dry jacket.  I have felt terribly irresponsible about the whole thing and the incident has left me feeling concerned about future situations where I might show some kind of poor judgment (I've learned my lesson about mountains but who knows where else I might fall short and maybe with more detrimental results).

Although I tried to witness and release the feelings this week, it was not happening.  Then I decided to apply the technique of unconditional happiness to this situation.  After choosing to feel gratitude and happiness for the situation, I had some insight and I was able to let it go.  I recognize that the Universe provides even when I personally fall short.  Although I wished that I had planned better, the fact that our needs were met by 3 other kind souls helps me to see that it isn't all up to me...God provides.  So I can accept what happened without feeling anxious about not being prepared for something else in the future. 

There are 5 techniques that are described in the final section of the book, with the path of unconditional happiness being one of them.  Michael suggests that we may need to use different techniques depending on the situation.  Witnessing and releasing was not working for me in this situation but looking at it through a brighter lense helped me to let it go. 

"Unconditional happiness is a very high path and a very high technique because it solves everything...(It) solves daily life and it solves spiritual life.  The greatest gift one can give to God is to be pleased with His creation."  (T.U.S., p. 146-147).     

May we all choose to feel unconditional happiness and gratitude for the life that we have been given and for the opportunity to grow in whatever ways that we need to grow.

1 comment:

  1. That was a healing insight, and good to know there are several techniques to dealing with our negative feelings.

    ReplyDelete