Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

acceptance

With regard to my New Years intentions, I've been noticing many of the ways in which I struggle with my life...not accepting an uncomfortable feeling and trying to change my situation so the feeling will go away is a big one for me.

Adyashanti says that struggle is necessary in order to stay in the egoic state.  "The reason that we struggle to stay in the egoic state is because it allows us to live our lives as if we are in control and separate from the world around us." (Falling into Grace, p. 74).  This is the false solidity that Michael Singer talks about.  Adya says that the struggle is often "within ourselves- where one part is pitted against another.  Its the struggle of trying to be who we wish we were...as long as we're struggling, it's very hard for consciousness to shift out of the egoic state, into something more natural, expansive, and whole." (Falling into Grace, p. 74-75).

In order to really let go of control I recognize that I need to accept my life exactly as it is showing up right now, and not be so focused on making changes nor trying to plan for the future.  Even though I am a very  goal-directed person (including the goal of working towards awakening to a higher sense of Self), I am beginning to recognize that I need to accept not change.  If my focus is primarily on changing myself and my life then I will be struggling with what is showing up now.     

"The way we narrow down consciousness is through struggling, through striving.  What we all aspire to, and what is in fact natural to us, is openness, peace, love, and well-being...They arise in us when we become conscious of our spiritual nature, of our non-separate, non-somebody nature.  Then love flows quite naturally."  (Falling into Grace, p. 75)

As I accept what is happening in my life, my consciousness will change.  It is not my life that needs changing, it is my consciousness that needs changing.  If I want the love to flow then it is about changing me, not the world.  This starts with acceptance of what is happening right now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment