Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

to suffer or not to suffer...that is the question

"If we want to stop suffering, if we really want to bring an end to suffering, we've got to wake up.  'Waking up' means awakening to the truth of our being, and it also means waking up from a whole host of illusions...The truth is that waking up can be a disturbing process...Who really wants to find out that we're all addicted to qualities like approval, recognition, control, and power, and that none of these things actually brings an end to suffering.  In fact, they're the cause of suffering!"

Adya goes on to say that ending suffering has to do with seeing reality and truth instead of what is imagined.   It is looking at ourselves in the mirror- not "the way we usually do-with regret, judgment, blame" but seeing that "we are the ones who are causing our own suffering, and it's we alone who can find the way out." (falling into grace, p. 162).

Adya says that there is something deep within us (something unconscious) that wants us to suffer, that way we can maintain the belief that we are separate.  

"We continue to hold onto our ideas, thoughts, and beliefs as if our lives depended on them."  The life of our ego depends on these beliefs.  "That part of ourself that wants to see itself as separate doesn't really want to merge back with the source, but would rather pay the price and stand up as a separate being, no matter what the cost, and assert its view upon the world." (p. 164)

I've read this chapter before but I think this time I am getting it a little more deeply.  I've had several situations arise in the last couple of days which have triggered my need for approval and recognition.  I've watched the feelings of hurt arise and I have chosen to relax (really relax my belly) and let the feelings, thoughts and situations pass through me.  I do not want to feed the illusion of separation. I do not want to suffer.

I am causing my own suffering by being addicted to approval, recognition, control, power, being right, looking competent, having opinions...  I let these things go and I bring my awareness back to Truth...that there is no separation, that I am one with God, that I can be free should I choose to let go of my need to assert my views upon the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment