Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Clarify Your Aspirations

Adya talks about 5 foundations on which his teachings rest and the first of these is to "Clarify Your Aspirations."   This means:

"knowing exactly what it is that your spiritual life aspires to, not as a future goal but in each moment.  In other words what do you value most in your life-not in the sense of moral values, but in the sense of what is most important to you." (The Way of Liberation, p. 3)

He suggests that we contemplate and meditate upon this question until we are perfectly clear about what we aspire to.

What I might aspire to in the big picture is to help the world to heal, but taking this question down to a moment by moment experience changes my response somewhat, making my goals more specific.  The goal that I aspire to at this point is to live each moment with an open heart thus allowing myself to stay connected with my authentic experience (i.e., noticing when I close in fear and choosing to relax my heart) and with the energy of Spirit.

"The importance of this first Foundation cannot be over-emphasized, because life unfolds along the lines of what you value most...Generally most people have competing and conflicting values, which manifest as both internal and external conflict.  So just because you think something is your deepest value it does not mean that it actually is.  By deeply contemplating and clarifying what you value and aspire to, you become more unified, clear, and certain of your direction."  (The Way of Liberation, p. 3)

I have experienced some of this (internal) conflict this week...despite my aspiration I found myself at times feeling defensive and closed.  Staying aware of what I aspire too in each moment has reminded me to stay open.

If you would like to share your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate hearing about your aspirations (either by posting on the blog or sending my an email).

No comments:

Post a Comment