Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Surrender Experiment

I am half way through Michael Singer's new book, The Surrender Experiment and I cannot say enough about the book.  It tells the story of Michael's spiritual journey, which involves his surrendering all personal preferences and saying "Yes" to life.  Michael refused to listen to the voice in his head which tried telling him what he liked and didn't like and to base his decisions on these personal preferences.  Instead, Michael decided to say "Yes" to what life was asking him to do.  As a result he has had an amazing journey filled with miraculous events and situations falling in to place with little effort on his part.

"I could see that it was these mental preferences that were creating much of the ongoing dialogue about how to control everything in my life. In a bold attempt to free myself from all that I decided to just stop listening to all the chatter about my personal preferences, and instead, start the willful practice of accepting what the flow of life was presenting me." (The Surrender Experiment, p. 53)

He started with the weather...accepting whatever was happening with the weather.  "Look how beautiful it's raining."

"The rules of the experiment were very simple: If life brought events in front of me, I would treat them as if they came to take me beyond myself.  If my personal self complained, I would use each opportunity to simply let him go and surrender to what life was presenting me." (p. 54)

As you will see if you read the book, Michael had great success with letting go of personal preference and letting life lead him.

I am going to give it a try and let go of personal preferences as often as possible and allow life to take the lead.  Stay tuned for more about letting life be in charge.




No comments:

Post a Comment