Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Monday, May 15, 2017

from ego to Essential nature

I have been taking a look at how I show up in life from ego:

-wanting to be right
-concerned about what others think about me and showing up as I think they want me to be
-feeling disappointed when others do not follow my same spiritual path
-wanting to identify limitations with spiritual paths that I am not following
-defining/labeling others (either positively or negatively) and then finding (more like looking for) evidence to support my assumptions
-complaining (I often do this silently but it still counts)
-judging (again, usually silently) or stereotyping
-building an identity around my work
-allowing a person's financial status or job title to influence how I feel about them
-being overly concerned with physical appearance
-feeling better about myself because of material possessions...car, clothes, house
-attaching to and identifying with various roles in my life including therapist, mother, caring daughter, good friend...

Whenever I am coming from "ego" it is because I am trying to make an impression or create an image so I and others can see me a certain way.  At these moments I am usually in my head trying to figure things out or swallowed up by some strong emotion.

**Although being introspective and on a spiritual path has lessened these kind of egoic reactions, they still exist.  As long as I identify myself as separate from others and from God I will continue to label, compare, need to be right (or wrong) etc.   And although it is uncomfortable to admit that these thoughts occur, it is actually VERY liberating to come clean.  I am not the thoughts in my head!

Often times just saying to myself "that is ego" is enough to unhook me.  At other times I need to work harder at letting go of the attachment or egoic reaction.  When I remember to do it, dropping my awareness out of my head almost always helps.  When I do this the neurotic roommate is quiet for a few minutes. Everything settles down like confetti in a snow globe that has gently settled on the bottom.   Peace, finally.

So with a deep breath I will lean into the moment at hand without trying to control it.  As I show up with presence (instead of agenda and defensiveness) I am allowing Life to show me what I need to know and I am unblocking the pathway for my Essential nature to pour forth. .


No comments:

Post a Comment