Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Those painful thorns, what to do?

We are now looking at chapter 9.   I like the analogy of having a painful thorn and removing the thorn instead of building a protective apparatus to keep oneself from feeling the pain.  This is a profoundly different way of dealing with personal problems than what most of us are used to doing.  Michael uses the example of loneliness.  Instead of asking how to get rid of feeling lonely, ask how do I get rid of loneliness?  And darn it, the answer is not 'by getting into a relationship!'  Sometimes people do use relationships to avoid their feelings of loneliness but this doesn't get rid of the problem.  "The problem will be back the moment the external situation fails to protect you from what's inside."  (T.U.S., p. 84.)

Michael describes the process of freeing yourself from the pain, in this case of loneliness, by witnessing the feelings.  "Because your consciousness is separate and aware of these things (i.e., the painful feelings), you can be free of them...simply permit the disturbances to come up and you can let them go."  (T.U.S., p. 85l.)   

I have had situation come up recently that has been difficult to let go of.   Someone was critical of me behind my back.  Although I witnessed and let go of my feelings about this when they would arise, I found that I was still 'tightening up' at the thought of this person.  It seems that I have been holding onto feelings like resentment in order to protect myself from getting hurt by this person.  However, I do not want to hold onto this negative energy anymore. 

I am doing two things to help let go.  First every time I think about the situation I am grounding myself in the awareness of who I really am, as opposed to identifying myself as the egoic self.  Also I have set the intention to really let it go.  I am witnessing and releasing any fears that I have about this person's criticism of me.  I am beginning to feel less tense about the situation but I will continue to witness and release until I can think about this person with an open heart.   I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment