Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Letting go of self

Who am I?  Who are you?  Both Michael and Adyashanti discuss letting go of any image of self, both the positive and negative self-images.  Michael uses the words Observer or Witness consciousness to discuss that neutral place where we let go of the lower self in order to allow a Higher sense of Self to emerge.  Adyashanti says it like this:

"If we're willing to look in a deep way underneath the appearances, what we expect to discover...is some great shining image...worthy of admiration and approval.  Yet when we start to peer underneath our image...what you find is no image, no idea of yourself.  Because this is so unexpected most people will begin to move away from it almost instinctively."  (Falling Into Grace, p. 22-23).

He says that if we really want to know who we are we will need to face the fear of not having an image to fall back on.  This reminds me of part IV of The Untethered Soul, going beyond the walls and the false sense of solidity. Moving out of that comfortable and safe house in the middle of the field of light in order to be free and to experience Truth. 

I have been dealing with issues of self-worth lately.  Old stuff that just hasn't gone away.  I have found  recognizing, accepting, and releasing feelings of not being enough to be a very healing process.  I am allowing what is lodged in my psyche to arise and pass through me.  Life shows me where I am blocked when I stay present and open to my authentic experience in each moment. 

What I am finding in this process of letting go is that the desire to do it right or make an impression is being replaced by a desire to be real in each moment.  Accepting what is happening, along with the feeelings about what is happening, somehow takes away the desire to change it.  My life is unfolding in perfect order and harmony and I do not need to control it.  All I really need to do is show up in the moment and open to what is happening.  God will do the rest.

Based on what Adyashanti said in the above quote, I suspect that what I am experiencing is just the tip of the iceberg.  Letting go of one painful feeling or one illusory thought at a time seems pretty do-able.  Letting go of my entire sense of self, to the point where I recognize that I am nothing and I am everything, is more frightening.

But since I do not want to live within the confines of the electric fence when there is a higher experience to be had, I choose to allow life to remove my blocks including the illusion that I am this self.  I will let go in each moment and let God show me who I really am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment