Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Monday, May 14, 2012

letting spirit be your guide

I have spent time this week noticing and letting go of my story and the conclusions that I have drawn.  If I am relaxed and open, life shows me what I need to let go off, including the blocked feelings and negative/limiting thoughts and beliefs.

Instead of trying to make life work by changing what is happening on the outside Michael Singer suggests focusing on yourself, namely, whether you are open or closed (i.e., Is your heart feeling open or closed? Are you relaxed or tight?)  As we stay open we will experience more love and joy.  Of course we still have to make decisions in our lives, and by remaining open and relaxed we will also be more likely to hear the guidance of spirit in our decision making. 

The following beautiful piece was written by Leonard Szymczak (Leonard is an author and therapist.  He will be speaking at the Center for Spiritual Living Capistrano Valley on May 27th.):

I recently drove to Los Angeles to visit a friend in hospital. Having set my GPS (AKAAlice) with the address, I confidently wove my way through traffic on the freeway. However, with the music blaring and my mind rehearsing an upcoming speech, I didn’t hear Alice announce the turnoff. Needless to say, I realized all too late that I had missed my exit. Instead of berating me, Alice reacted in a calm voice, “Recalculating,” then issued new instructions.

It made me think of the times I have difficulty connecting with my inner GPS, Guiding Power of Spirit. Whenever my preoccupied mind whirls like an overhead fan, I can't hear the quiet voice gently guiding me to inner peace. I can't imagine Spirit screaming, "You bloody fool, pay attention!" though, I might say that myself. Rather, I think Spirit is more like Alice, who calmly recalculates without judgment.

I'm ever so thankful for an internal guidance system that helps me navigate through dark tunnels and unfamiliar territory. When I veer in the wrong direction, I can count on Spirit to lovingly correct my position and direct me to a higher path.

If you ever find yourself
getting lost or taking a wrong turn, know that your internal GPS is always there to guide you. Merely set the intention to receive guidance then ask, “Where do I need to go or what do I need to do?” Be still and listen for the answer. There may be a brief period of recalculating, but rest assured, you will hear a gentle voice instructing you back Home to love and inner peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment