Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Monday, August 20, 2012

"you can't outrun yourself"

I spent some time this week thinking about my story and the conclusions that I have drawn from this story (e.g., how I got the message that I am not able to freely express myself for fear of being rejected).  Understanding how these fears developed helps me to see that they are based on illusion...another person's pain causing them to act in a way that I gave personal meaning to which resulted in my pain.

The fear itself is not the problem, it is when I let the fear dictate how I operate in my life that problems arise.    It is when I let the fear and pain keep me from really opening to others in an undefended way that I remain stuck. This is not the way I want to live and I realize that the only way out is through...through the fear and pain. (This same message permeates The Untethered Soul, especially when Michael talks about samskaras and in Part 4:  Going Beyond)

Adyashanti says:  "There has to be a willingness to feel that fear again, feel the hesitation, feel the tendency to recoil -if it's there- and to have the willingness to move into it, to actually become intimate with the fear itself.  Union with fear isn't something that many of us consider when we think of intimacy and relationship.  But when you are willing to be intimate with your resistance, closer than you imagine, then you will see that your fears are not your enemies; they are your allies."  (falling into grace, p. 154)

Adya says that being intimate with fear involves feeling it and then staying with it, not running away from the feeling.  The tendency will be to recoil but that is not possible because "It's a fear that's created within your own being and you can't outrun yourself." (falling into grace, p. 156)

It seems like I am being inundated with these messages:  let go of the mind/psyche/ego, walk through my fears, open my heart, connect with others because we are all One.   Although it may seem like we have forever to do these things, our time on this human plane is limited.  It is time to move through the fear,  experience life as it is showing up, and let God take over the reigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment