Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

facing reality without mental boundaries

I found a lot of meaning in the following quote from Michael Singer (I don't know where it came from...probably one of his CDs):

"I free myself from the limits of my mental model. I accept reality.  I go beyond my model by not believing it. I face reality without mental boundaries.  I go beyond my comfort zone by handling what is happening NOW and relaxing."  

As I have said in recent blog posts, my spiritual practices include giving myself permission to have feelings and letting go of thoughts related to the feelings and situations in my life.  It became clear to me this week that accepting reality (i.e., what is showing up in my life) has absolutely nothing to do with the past or the future although, it requires conscious effort on my part to separate the present from the past and future.  When certain situations happen I sometimes find myself saying things like "Of course, things always turn out this way" or "When am I going to get this right?" or "So and so always acts this way" or I may just expect certain areas of my life to go in a certain direction because they always have in the past.  In other words, I fall prey to expecting my future to turn out like my past.

Back to Michael's quote.  These projections or expectations form the limits of my mental model.

I can choose to let all of these limits go.  I can focus on what is happening now, feel the feelings that are present in this moment (they will move through me as long as I let go of the thoughts that keep them in place), and relax.  Just because I have encountered a similar situation in the past has nothing to do with what will happen now or in the future.  If I stay stuck in negativity or worry about not being able to move forward I will block myself from receiving the good that the Universe has to offer me.  Perhaps I will block myself from knowing God.  God can be found only in this moment.  If I am consumed with worry or concern about the future or if I stay stuck with my limited mental model about how life works I will miss the opportunity to open my heart to God expressing Itself in this moment.

The reality about my life is that I have no idea what is in store for me.  I only have this moment to deal with.    I would much rather use this moment to open myself to God's grace and allow my life to unfold according to God's will, as opposed to viewing life through the lens of my limiting beliefs which are based on past experiences.

I face reality without mental boundaries.


No comments:

Post a Comment