Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

forgiveness "I see something in you that's the same as in me."

I was really moved by what Adya wrote about forgiveness in Resurrecting Jesus.

"The open heart is compassionate because it maintains an essential connection. But as soon as we separate ourselves from another-as soon as we say "No there's nothing in you that corresponds with something in me," as soon as we forget that you and I are essentially the same spiritual essence-then we cut ourselves off, and we go into blame.  Forgiveness comes from that deep intuition of our sameness, of our shared humanity. That perception starts to lower the walls of defense, and being judgmental is ultimately a defensive game, a way of saying, "I am not like you."  To forgive is really a way of saying "I see something in you that's the same as in me."  Then, even though you may be upset, even though the other person may have caused you pain or harm, when you connect with your shared humanity, there's forgiveness."  (Resurrecting Jesus, p. 90)

Sometimes it is hard to see the similarity between ourselves and others.  There is a person who appears to be homeless that sits outside of a Starbucks that I pass by most mornings.  I find my mind being a little irritated that he sits there everyday.  Today there was a woman (normally dressed and therefore did not appear to be homeless) sitting on the bench and chatting with the man.  That is what Jesus would have done. He saw the true Essence in everyone.  He did not judge.

Living a life where those types of judgmental thoughts do not set up camp in our awareness would be a beautiful way to live.

When we can accept our own faults, flaws, limitations, dark side etc. then it becomes easier to accept the humanity of others.  Then we can forgive, which means to truly know that we are all One at our Essence, and this allows for the Peace that Passeth All Understanding.  
 
P.S., "Resurrecting Jesus" is the most powerful book that I have ever read.  Reading it is a spiritual experience...the words move me into a connection with Spirit in the same way that mediation helps me to connect with the God within.  

No comments:

Post a Comment