Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

life lived from the vitality of spirit

According to Adya, letting go of attachment to ego is the first step in awakening.  The second step is letting go of a personal sense of self altogether which he said is much harder than letting go of ego.  From Adya's amazing book "Resurrecting Jesus":

"But Mark tells us over and over again, that true life is not the life of the ego with all of its neurotic fears and desire for control and security.  True life is life lived from the vitality of spirit, and the gospel is good news because, for Mark, Jesus opens the doorway to the Kingdom of Heaven here and now for all who have eyes to see and the courage to repent (to turn around, turn within) and receive the radiance of their true being." (p. 178)

I've spent time this week contemplating what makes letting go of the ego so difficult for me.  Since the intent is present I am not sure why it isn't happening.  I realize that I need to practice more...practice noticing when I have been swept up in the drama of life and then let it go.  I also realize that checking in with my heart to see if it is open or closed is a good way to determine if I have really let go.  If my heart is closed then I have not let go.

Although I cannot make myself wake up, I can take steps towards living a life free of ego by being the awareness and by no longer trying to fix everything with my mind. Here is something that Michael Singer said on one of his CDs:

"I do not expect my mind to fix what is wrong inside of me.
The one inside watching the neurotic mind is quiet.
I relax and release the disturbance.
I am aware that I am aware." 

I surrender my attachment to ego in each moment by being aware of the one inside who notices and checking in with my heart to make sure that it is open.

May all of us experience a life lived from the vitality of spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment