Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

letting go of the self

In discussing his experience at the Department of Justice in Washington, DC, Michael Singer says the following:

"All this exposure to intensely powerful people and situations was having a profound effect on the psyche I watched so diligently.  I had never been exposed to this powerful lifestyle.  Nothing in me got off on it or wanted anything from it, but it did make me deal with parts of my being that I would not have faced otherwise.  If I saw any weakness, fear or anxiety come up, I just deeply relaxed back into where I was watching from. I simply kept letting go of whatever came up.  This is where life had taken me, and I used all these situations as a way of letting go of myself.  It was definitely working.  I kept being pushed into strongly positive and negative situations, and I increasingly found myself in a very clear and undisturbed state.  It seemed that the more challenges life put me through, the less my inner energy flow was affected by outer conditions.What years of meditation had not gotten rid of, life's situations and challenges were rooting out of me.  As long as I made getting rid of myself my only goal, every situation was a fruitful experience."  (The Surrender Experiment, pp.213-214)

I notice that Michael does not rely primarily on his thinking mind to evaluate the situations that he finds himself in and to guide his decisions.  Instead, he lets go of attachment to thought and emotion and moves into a state of higher awareness.  

We can learn to access this state of awareness by practicing meditation and other spiritual techniques. For those who are interested, there is an excellent book called "Shift Into Freedom" by Loch Kelly which provides very clear and simple techniques for shifting out of identification with egoic self into a state which he calls "awake awareness."   

No comments:

Post a Comment