Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Awake Awareness

Here is what Locke Kelly has to say about awake awareness, and you will find that it is the same idea as Michael Singer's letting go of the self :

"Awake awareness is sometimes called 'pure awareness,' but it's also inherent within all forms of our consciousness...Awake awareness is always already here, and it is only a matter of learning how to directly access it.  One of the most important things to learn is how to separate awareness from thinking, and then we can see that thoughts and emotions are not the center of who we are.  We then discover that awareness is the source of mind that brings the peace that passes understanding...awake awareness can 'know' something without referring overtly to thoughts, but it can also use thought when needed."  (Shift into Freedom, p.14)  

I am not my thoughts and feelings.  I am not this image that I present to the world.  I am not who I think I am...this identity that I have created is an illusion.  My physical self is real, but the consciousness that infuses it is Who I really am.  When we begin to realize that we are not the persona that we have created there is a lightening of attachment to fear, insecurity, expectations etc.  There is nothing to prove and nothing to defend.  A weight is lifted and there is the peace that passes all understanding.

Shift into Freedom provides many practical techniques for shifting one's awareness away from thought and emotion and onto awareness itself.  I highly recommend the book.  I am considering starting a group in the next few months to practice these techniques and explore this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment