Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Dare to be Different. Enjoy All of Life!"

"As long as you are defining what you like and what you don't like, you will open and close...Let go of that.  Dare to be different.  Enjoy all of life."  (T.U.S., p. 47). 

This is a tall order...to enjoy ALL of life including scrubbing the toilets, paying taxes, going to the DMV, going to the dentist, working long hours, losing a job... Michael says that learning to keep one's heart open no matter what is a matter of choice.  If you define what you need to stay open (such as the right relationship, weather, bank account balance etc.) you are blocking an unlimited flow of energy that is your birthright.  Is there any good reason for doing that? No.  It is a habitual response for most of us (to close in order to protect ourselves) but this response can be unlearned. 

When I notice that I have closed my heart I move my awareness to the Observer and from that vantage point I can see that I am tightened up, both physically and emotionally.  I then ask myself:  Is this how I want to spend my time on this planet?  Is this the kind of experience that I want to have?  Is this the kind of person that I want to be?  And, of course I answer NO to each of these questions. I ask myself "Who am I?" and I realize that I am not my experience, no matter what it is.  I recognize that I am listening to that crazy roommate again and I decide that I do not want to do that any longer.  I decide to choose love, not fear.  I relax my chest and belly and open my heart and release that which is keeping me from opening up.

On page 47 Michael talks about "The more you stay open, the more the energy flow can build...a tremendous amount of energy flows out of you...the energy affects other people....(and) the health of your body." (T.U.S., p. 47).  This is such a worthwhile goal.

Practice today keeping your heart open not matter what.  Use your breath to relax, and, make a conscious choice to open your heart thus allowing Spirit to flow freely through you and as you!

1 comment:

  1. During the past few weeks, I've seen that, in my mind, the observer looks at situations from a more logical perspective than the roommate. Thank you Donna for reminding us to switch to the observer's perspective- it does make a difference!

    ReplyDelete