Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Awareness

In chapter 4 (pages 36-37) Michael describes a conscious, centered being as one who is always aware of being conscious...one who contemplates the source of consciousness...one who focuses on consciousness...one whose consciousness is focused on itself.  (Consciousness means the focus of your awareness.  If you are having trouble grasping the meaning of the phrases above, try substituting the word 'awareness' for 'consciousness'.).  So instead of focusing on thoughts, feelings, behaviors, experiences, problems, needs, or wants a conscious, centered being is "aware of being aware."  

It isn't just "I feel hungry/sad/happy right now," it is "I am aware that I am feeling hungry/sad/happy right now."  Making that little shift in your thought process or in your awareness can have a huge impact on your life because it helps you to no longer identify yourself as the hunger, sadness or happiness.  It allows you to have that experience without losing yourself in it.  You are the awareness of your experience, you are not your experience...just like you are not the TV show that you love to watch, you are the one watching the show. 

"The more that you are willing to just let the world be something you're aware of, the more it will let you be who you are- the awareness, the Self, the Atman, the Soul." (T.U.S., p. 37). 

I always feel a sense of freedom and relief when I think about 'just letting the world be something that I am aware of.'  The bills, the laundry, the children, the job, the weather, the meal, the relationship...all just something that I am aware of.  I will deal with these things, of course, but they do not have to define me, or the quality of my day, or the mood that I am in.  I am Self.

Today, practice letting the world be something that you are aware of!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this helpful post....This hopefully will be easy to follow because it's almost a mantra. Whenever I start to get "caught up" in events, I can simply say "I am aware that ___ is happening."

    ReplyDelete