Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Friday, April 15, 2011

the peace that passeth all understanding

In Chapter 14, letting go of false solidity Michael talks about how we use the psyche to build a concept of ourselves, a self-concept which provides a sense of security.  We cling to ideas and thoughts about ourselves in order to “build an inner structure for consciousness to focus on.” (T.U.S., p. 128)   We feel safer that way.  It is easier to navigate through life when we know what to expect from ourselves and others.  Other people reward us for building a stable identity.
But this false identity that we have built ends up limiting us (remember the examples of the dog penned in by the electric fence, or, the person who builds the comfortable house in the middle of the beautiful field?)
We build and cling to our personal identity because it would be very scary if we did not. 

“If you let go of your façade, and don’t try to trade it in for a new one, your thoughts and emotions will become unanchored and begin passing thorough you. ..You will feel panic deep inside, and you will be unable to get your bearings…However, you’ll find that if you’re willing to face that sense of panic, there is a way to go past it.  You can go further back into the consciousness that is experiencing it, and the panic will stop.  Then there will be a great peace, like nothing you’ve ever felt.”  (T.U.S., p. 132)
I can fully relate to how scary it would be to let go of the facade.  This week I experienced a taste of this discomfort when I posted something of facebook that was "out of character" for me...meaning that it was not in sync with the typical "Donna" façade that I like to put out there.   I was concerned about how the person whose wall I posted on viewed me.   I wondered how many other people read it.  It felt very uncomfortable. 
This experience made me realize how dependent I am upon keeping up this façade.  I am totally and completely addicted to it.  Honestly, it is hard to imagine that I could ever live without the comfort of my identity.   
Yet, I yearn to have a closer, more intimate relationship with God; to embody my true Self; to experience my oneness with Spirit; to be an expression of pure Love.  I know that I must transcend this personal identity in order to do so. I am willing to let go of whatever is not necessary in order to find the great peace within. 

No comments:

Post a Comment