Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

"transmutation of energy" Part 1

All week long I have watched my energies go up and down.  Last weekend my daughter was placed on the waiting list for OC High School of the Arts.  This has been a dream of hers for years...last year she was not accepted...acceptance into the school is extremely competitive...the program would be PERFECT for her...blah, blah, blah.  From the human perspective there are lots of reasons to be excited and hopeful, and, a lot to be disappointed about should she not get in this year.  As great as it would be, however, I know that my joy is not dependent upon my daughter getting in to OCHSA.  I also see how easy it is to get lost in the energy of this situation. 

This morning I was listening to one of Michael's CDs "The Clarity of Witness Consciousness" Part 2 - Beyond the Pull of Inner Energies, Tracks 8 and 9.  (All of the quotes below are from this CD).  He talks about "watching the dance between the energy that comes in through the senses and the urge to fix it."  When the energy comes in (i.e., inner disturbance) we either try to fix it or push it away (e.g., me happily anticipating an acceptance letter coming in the mail, or, worrying that this might not happen).

Michael suggests that instead of getting drawn into the energies, we watch and relax.  Do not touch the energies.  Just "watch a human be human." 

The challenge is to remain inside despite the strong pull of the energy.  "There is no working with this humanness...work with the tendency to get sucked in...Leave the energy alone." 

So I will notice when I have become drawn into the feelings (either positive or negative).  I will not push them away, nor try to change them.  I will take a deep breath and relax my muscles, especially the heart.  I will work with the Self (i.e., noticing where I am putting my awareness), not the situation. 

As we do this our energy changes.  I will talk more about this in part 2 of 'transmutation of energy.'        

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. Sometimes when I want something for my child, it's even harder to be objective. After all, isn't it "my" responsibility to make sure my child's life turns out well?

    Sometimes I can imagine myself on a documentary similar to the ones on Animal Planet, where the narrator comments on the mother worrying about her progeny. The narrator, like the observer Singer describes, knows that so much is out of the mother's control.

    ReplyDelete