Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gently disengage from the chatter

Michael talks about not listening when the mind tells you what you have to do to make everything okay so you can feel okay.

     "The truth is, everything will be okay as soon as you are okay with everything.  And that's the    only time everything will be okay." (T.U.S., p. 95)

He says that the root of it is that we expect the mind to fix our inner disturbance.  "Consciously remember that this is not what you want to do and then gently disengage." (T.U.S., p. 95)

The mind is helpful for so many things in this world, such as solving scientific problems and serving our planet, but it's job is not to fix our inner disturbance.  It seems to me that if we did not have our minds spend so much time and energy trying to fix our inner disturbances that we could use our minds in so many more productive ways. 

Michael says that we put so much energy into having our minds fix all of our problems as if the mind were our "saviour and protector."  It isn't.  It is a tool to be used to function in life but its job is not to make everything okay.

When your mind starts telling you what to do, just watch it.  Do not get involved.  Relax and gently disengage.  Be the observer and let the rest go.

I find that when I do this, I often experience more clarity and my life tends to flow more effortlessly.  I am opening myself to a deeper wisdom and guidance instead of relying of the mind with all of its fears and insecurities to tell me what to do.

I also find that when I stop listening to the chatter of the mind telling me what to do to fix my life, and I instead choose to be okay with everything that I have more energy...I feel lighter.  I actually enjoy my life. 

Practice today falling behind the mind and being okay with whatever is showing up in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment