Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Friday, March 25, 2011

May the walls come tumbling down

I will be writing about 'going beyond the pain,' starting with chapter 12 of The Untethered Soul “taking down the walls.”  I like the analogy of the beautiful house (i.e., the personal identity) built in the middle of a beautiful field (i.e., life), which feels safe and comfortable yet limits and blocks us from the light (i.e., unlimited potential).  This house is made up of aspects of the personal self including one’s thoughts, feelings, beliefs, perceptions, hopes, and past experiences.  As comfortable as the house is, there is a beautiful world (i.e., freedom) on the other side of it’s walls.
Michael says “If you want to see how restrictive your walls are start walking toward them.” (T.U.S.,  p. 116)  Notice how you react to an uncomfortable thought, feeling, or situation.  We often refer to this kind of inner disturbance as being in the darkness.
“Eventually you will realize that darkness is not what’s really there.  What is really there are the walls that are blocking the infinite light.” (T.U.S., p. 116)
Notice the inner disturbances throughout the day and the tendency to want to pull away from them (e.g., fix the situation, numb the feeling with food, alcohol, shopping, work, busy-ness…).  Instead of avoiding the inner discomfort, notice it, relax and choose to let it go.
I had a challenging work situation come up the other day.  When I recognized the discomfort I shifted my thoughts from 'This is a problem and I had better do something...'  (i.e., fix the situation so that I could stay safe within my walls) to 'This is not a problem, it is an opportunity to let go of some blocked energy and that is good!' I let go.  I then went on to think about how to proceed with the situation but I was more detached and able to think more clearly. 
Remember the mind will constantly being stirring up drama.  Do not get involved.  Relax and let it be.  You are safe to go beyond the walls of your ego.  It is only a feeling and it will pass.  Join me today in choosing freedom.
    

1 comment: