Welcome to my blog about transcending the self. Instead of using the mind to fix or control your world so that you can be happy, there is another way. This blog is about moving your awareness from your limited, egoic-self to your Higher Self in order that you can be the divine expression that you were intended to be.


Many of my beliefs are based on the books "The Untethered Soul" (T.U.S.) by Michael Singer and "Falling into Grace" by Adyashanti. These books describe the path of moving your awareness from the part of you that tries to make your life work (ie, find happiness, security, love...) to the part of you that Witnesses or Watches your life unfold and your reactions to your life. As you become more aware of yourself as the Watcher, and you let go of the energies of the lower self, you will be moving towards greater freedom.

So instead of struggling to make everything go your way in life, why not accept what is (release the need to fix or control people, situations or your mind), open your heart and surrender to That Which Created Life in the first place! In other words, go with the flow of life and watch the amazing miracle that you are blossom! Please join me in choosing to move beyond the limitations of the personal self and to live a life of freedom.

To get the most out of this blog, I suggest that you read the books. I also recommend the CDs by Michael Singer (see the website below). I post on this blog about once a week. If you would like to be notified by email each time I post please send your email address to donnamccullough@cox.net.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Patching up those walls

Although I have been working with the idea of witnessing and letting go for a couple of years, the following quote from T.U.S. shakes me up:

"You must realize that when you defend yourself you are really defending your walls.  There is nothing else to defend in there.  There is just the awareness of being and the limited house you built to live in."  (T.U.S., p. 116)

I find this quote to be very powerful and somewhat unnerving.  When I defend myself I am defending my walls.  Michael used the example of someone being told that they were adopted and how the mind would jump to rationalizations to patch up the walls of one's broken identity (T.U.S., p. 117).

This quote highlights the fact that I need to let go of all rationalizations...of explaining away situations so I can feel better...of defending myself both in my head and out loud.  

The second part of this quote, the fact that my real Self is nothing but 'the awareness of being' is equally as uncomfortable.  This is really letting go of the personal self.  It is one thing to let go of a little pain, fear, or resentment but to realize that it all has to go (the good, the bad, and the ugly) is downright scary.  No identity (the house) to navigate through and feel comfortable in the world.  And although this identity is far from perfect it does provide some direction and a sense of stability.  What will there be without this?  Who would I be?   

Despite my fears I am determined to carry on.  I know that there is freedom on the other side. I believe there is more to this experience in life than living in a safe yet limited house, cut off from the light.

As hard as this is, I will witness and release the fear, the rationalizations and the identity.  And when I become aware that I have gotten trapped in the ego (as I so often do), I will choose again to take a breath and remember that I am the awareness of being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment